Meanwhile...

Meanwhile...
I love all creatures. I consider them, all of them, to be sentient beings... I write thrillers, fantasy, mysteries, gothic horror, romantic adventure, occult, Noir, westerns and various types of short stories. I also re-tell traditional folk tales and make old fairy tales carefully cracked. I'm often awake very early in the morning. A cuppa, and fifteen minutes later I'm usually writing something. ;)

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

***Piraty Cooking: Maroon Style Jerked Pork, Or Polynesian Style Pit Roasted Pig...


     Maroons were escaped men, most of them former West African slaves, who took to the jungles, mountains and hills to avoid re-capture.  They lived a very rough and primitive life there, but at least they were free.  I've add this recipe mainly as a curio.  I doubt anyone seeing it will actually do it, but here goes, anyway...

     Ready a whole pig for cooking.  Season it inside and out with salt, black pepper and powdered allspice.  (Allspice is the dark brown berry of an evergreen tree that grows in Jamaica.)  Stuff the inside of the pig with cooked rice seasoned with ginger and plenty of chopped onion.  Wrap the entire thing in fresh pimento leaves for flavor and green banana leaves for protection, tie with twine.  (I know...  I KNOW...  The fresh pimento and banana leaves are things you REALLY can't get at your local grocer.)

     Prepare a cooking pit.  (Yeah, --- DIG!)   Make it about four feet deep, lined with rocks, and build a wood fire in it.  When the fire has burned down to coals place the leaf wrapped pig in the hole.  Surround it on all sides by rocks and coals.  Cover the hole with a sheet of corrugated metal and pile dirt on top of that.

     When the pig is cooked, in about 3 or 4 hours, (while the smell of the roasting pig has you salivating) unwrap it and brown it over hot coals.

     It should be nice and tender and absolutely delicious...  OH, --- DEVOUR!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment