Meanwhile...

Meanwhile...
I love all creatures. I consider them, all of them, to be sentient beings... I write thrillers, fantasy, mysteries, gothic horror, romantic adventure, occult, Noir, westerns and various types of short stories. I also re-tell traditional folk tales and make old fairy tales carefully cracked. I'm often awake very early in the morning. A cuppa, and fifteen minutes later I'm usually writing something. ;)

Saturday, May 29, 2021

I could have bought "The House Of The Rising Sun," --- maybe...

 ***I COULD HAVE BOUGHT "THE HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN," --- MAYBE...

It was on Esplanade Avenue, was what is known as a double-gallery house, --- with a balcony on the second floor, sort of like the one pictured below... >>>


Yes, we all know that folk song, but "The House Of The Rising Sun," I believe, or I chose to believe, WAS an actual place, or rather, --- "a house," a brothel in New Orleans. Folklore has it that about four old houses in New Orleans can claim to be the original "House Of The Rising Sun"...
Well, I was just casually browsing the internet on day when I ran up against an ad for a gorgeous, old southern mansion on Esplanade Avenue in New Orleans. Hardly being serious, and mostly just-for-fun, I called the real estate number. The good old boy who answered had the thickest southern accent I'd ever heard. He assured me that if I came down to Louisiana he'd not only show me the house, but he wine & dine me; I'd have a wonderful time!!!...
"How do you figure that the house for sale might be the original 'House Of The Rising Sun',?" I asked. "Uh," he replied, "it's in the right area, historically, and it has an absolutely huge living room and dining room or parlor. Upstairs are six tiny bedrooms and a big bathroom. It also has a cottage in the back of the driveway.

If it wasn't THE 'House Of The Rising Sun', it very probably WAS once a pretty fancy bordello."

Ummm... Perhaps, he was just trying to sell a house... Anyway, he told me that the house was close (walking distance) to the famous Fairgrounds where many festivals were held, including the gigantic annual jazz festival. I was planning to use the house as a bed & breakfast, and with it's location, I knew that I could ask a high price for the rooms, and very probably get it when the festivals occurred...
BUT, buying it would mean a big, BIG move and BIG risk. I would have had to sell just about everything I owned TOO! In the end, I decided NOT to do it, NOT to buy what MIGHT have been "The House Of The Rising Sun", --- "...that had been the ruin of many a poor girl, - or poor boy..."


No comments:

Post a Comment