Meanwhile...

Meanwhile...
I love all creatures. I consider them, all of them, to be sentient beings... I write thrillers, fantasy, mysteries, gothic horror, romantic adventure, occult, Noir, westerns and various types of short stories. I also re-tell traditional folk tales and make old fairy tales carefully cracked. I'm often awake very early in the morning. A cuppa, and fifteen minutes later I'm usually writing something. ;)

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

"Xanadu," ~ by Samuel Taylor Coleridge...

Samuel Taylor Coleridge, a poet, was writing an epic poem when a there was a knock on his door, ~ a salesman who ranted on until the poet thought he would die. When he finally got rid of the salesman, Coleridge discovered, to his horror, that most of the epic poem had retreated from his mind! But, ~ there was some of it left... I love his poem, "Xanadu," so much I memorized some of it: "In Xanadu, did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure dome decree, where Alph, the sacred river ran from caverns measureless to ma, down to a sunless sea... And, there were forests bright with sinuous rills enfolding sunny spots of greenery... A savage place!... As ere beneath the waning moon, woman waited, wailing for her demon lover!... And, from this savage place Kubla Khan head voices, prophesizing war!... A damsel with a dulcimer I once heard... 'T was an Abyssinian maid, singing of mount Abora... If I could re-create within me her symphony in song, to such a deep delight would win me, that with music loud and long, I could create that sunny dome, those caves of ice!... And, all who saw me would stop and stare... And, all would cry, 'Beware, beware, his flashing eyes, his floating hair!... Weave a circle 'round him thrice and close your eyes with holy dread, for he on honeydew has fed and drunk the milk of paradise!'"

No comments:

Post a Comment