Meanwhile...

Meanwhile...
I love all creatures. I consider them, all of them, to be sentient beings... I write thrillers, fantasy, mysteries, gothic horror, romantic adventure, occult, Noir, westerns and various types of short stories. I also re-tell traditional folk tales and make old fairy tales carefully cracked. I'm often awake very early in the morning. A cuppa, and fifteen minutes later I'm usually writing something. ;)

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Old Naughty Re-told Tale, - [from Marie de France], - A Man Sees His Woman With Another Man...


He laid awake inside the house to see what could be spied.  He saw another man enjoying his woman in bed.  Alas, he thought, what have I seen?  His woman replied, "What do you mean?  My Love, what have you seen?"  "Another man, I'm sure," he said.  "He was on the bed in your embrace." 

His woman, with anger, replied, "A man?  Oh, very well! You're sick again, I can see!  You cling to lies as if they're true!"  He said, "I trust my eyes. that I must do!"  "You're mad," she said, "to insist I was with another man!"

"But, I saw him leaving for the woods!." he exclaimed.  "Oh,---NO!," she cried, "that means tomorrow I must die!  The same thing happened to my grandmother, you see...  My mother too, and now, it will happen to me!  It happened just before they died,---a well known fact, known both far and wide.  A young man led them off, you know.  They had no choice but to go!  My end is near; the die is cast.  Send for my sisters, I need them fast!  I'll split up all my property.  I mustn't waste my time, not me!  With all the wealth that is my humble share to a convent I will then repair!"

Her man cried in terror, "Let be, let be, my sweetheart dear!  Don't leave me now!  Not like this, I pray.  I made up all that I saw today!   And, now, I dare not stay.  Iit's far too late!  I'm thinking sore of my spiritual state, especially after the shame I've thought to attach to your good name!  I will be blamed.  I know I will, for thinking you would treat me so ill."

"Yes,---NOW," she said, "will you swear, with all my sisters standing there, that never did you see another man with me?  The subject will be dropped and you will never nag me for it too!"  He answered, "Dear, I do agree." 

They both went off to church, you see...  And, he soon swore to all she asked him for.  All that,---ah, yes,---and, much, much more... 

No comments:

Post a Comment